“Can I have a snack” just might be the phrase most often uttered by little mouths. And lets be real its usually at the most inconvenient time, like oh say while you are still cleaning up the meal you just made and they didn’t eat (insert eye roll). As much as this little phrase may grate our nerves feeding the kiddos is up there on the list of important things we need to do as parents and caregivers so having easy to prepare healthy options available at the drop of the hat is imperative. Here are 5 super easy to prepare yet healthy snacks to satisfy those little tummies. And yes, these are kid tested by possibly the MOST PICKY eaters out there, my kids and their little buddies from around the hood.
- Strawberries & Whipped Cream- This is number one because its my favorite and all the kids in the ‘hood’s favorite! Like I am the for real cool mom when I whip out this snack and it takes me 3 minutes. Its easy to prepare for a crowd and just looks pretty. And lets be real what kid doesn’t love the fun of whipped cream! Swap or add in other berries for a little variety. Don’t forget to wash those strawberries well with a good produce wash before serving. I personally LOVE this one.
- Popcorn- No joke the little girl that lives across the street asks for popcorn within 5 minutes of being in my house every time she comes over and I am happy to oblige because its easy to make, it can offer great flavor variety and it serves a crowd. Add variety by changing up your topping with things like cinnamon or parmesan. (PS-check out this post to learn how to make this snack WAY cheaper that you might be used to!)
- Tiny “oranges” – clementines, tangerines, mandarins (not in the sugar syrup) whichever is available at the best price and looks the freshest at your local grocer. These little guys are always crowd pleaser . They are easier to peel and less messy than their bigger cousin the orange. They satisfy that sweet craving and even look nice as decor in a bowl or basket on the kitchen table. They are a “free eat as much as you want when you want” food at my house and boy do those kids devour them…were talking like 6 in a row! My two year old LOVES peeling these herself (with a little start from mom) as well as sorting them in and out their bowl. So bonus points to this snack for also doubling as a toddler activity!
- Pesto Pasta- I know its sounds more like a lunch or even dinner and it certainly could be easily transformed into one of those BUT with this awesome Amore pesto paste it is so easy to quickly whip this up as a snack, especially for a crowd. Just prepare your choice pasta in a quantity suitable to be snack size for the number of kids you are serving. When the pasta is done squeeze some paste on the hot pasta and stir it it. Then stick the rest of the paste back in the fridge and serve that pasta. Easy Peasey! (PS when I do want to take the time to make fresh pesto this recipe from my friend Lauren over at Blissful Happenings is AMAZING!)
- Apples with peanut butter- Now I am sure there are kids out there who can jam on some plain apples like my kids do on the tiny oranges, and if that is your kiddos just serve those apples up plain jane. BUT my kiddos are kinda picky and they need the apple dressed up a little, so I add a little peanut butter and cinnamon. Its quicker than you think and brings a little extra protein to your snack. You can certainly switch that up to any nut/seed butter you like for variety or to suit allergy needs. I also LOVE this super easy 3 ingredient dip when I feel like putting in the 2 minutes extra effort 😉 A sweeter apple like fuji or pink lady tends to appeal to the kiddos the most. (pro tip- when my mom came to help me decorate my house she took my bag of apples and put them in a simple glass vase and I was like WOW, so simple yet chic and functional! Learn more about how my mom transformed my blank canvas home with simple things I already owned in a post coming soon!)
I am always looking for new ideas for my mega picky kids, so what are some super easy healthy snacks you serve to your kids?